Traces of poo have been found on every single McDonald’s touchscreen tested (which is something you touch before you eat) in an investigation by, The Metro.
Samples were taken from the new machines that have been rolled out at restaurants across the country – every one of them had coliforms (bacteria found in living organisms).
Dr Paul Matawele, from London Metropolitan University’s Microbiology department, said:
“We were all surprised how much gut and faecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.
“For instance, Enterococcus faecalis is part of the flora of gastrointestinal tracts of healthy humans and other mammals. It is notorious in hospitals for causing hospital acquired infections.”
One screen was found to have Staphylococcus bacteria on the touch screen inside. That can cause things like Toxic Shock Syndrome and blood poisoning.
On top of that, they also discovered Listeria bacteria at a few of the locations. That’s another serious one that can cause stillbirth and miscarriages in pregnant women.