Connect with us

Gist

Saudi refused to let Khashoggi detectives search well at Saudi consulate

Published

on

Nigeria News

Saudi officials have refused to allow Turkish police to search the well at Saudi consulate in Istanbul where some remains of Jamal Khashoggi were reportedly found.

Authorities have previously carried out inspections at the consulate and consul general’s residence in Istanbul as part of the investigation into the journalist’s murder.

Saudi Arabia refused to let Khashoggi detectives search well at Saudi consulate lailasnews 3
Saudi Arabia refused to let Khashoggi detectives search well at Saudi consulate

After weeks of denial, Saudi Arabia at the weekend said the journalist had been killed at the consulate but denied that King Salman or the crown prince were aware of the plot.

The killing has outraged the international community and Turkish police are leading an investigation in the circumstances of the suspected assassination.

Donald Trump calls Jamal Khashoggi murder ‘worst cover-up ever’ as US bans 21 Saudis

[DOWNLOAD MUSIC]

On Monday Doğu Perinçek, the chairman of Turkey’s left-wing nationalist Patriotic Party, claimed that parts of Khashoggi’s body had been found in a well in the garden of the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

However in a much-awaited speech Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan told lawmakers of his Justice and Development Party (AKP) on Tuesday that he still wanted to know where Khashoggi’s body is.

Mr Khashoggi was last seen alive entering the building on October 2 to get documents for his upcoming marriage. It has been widely reported that following his death his body was dismembered.

At Prime Minister’s questions today Theresa May said she would talk to King Salman today about the murder.

Saudi Arabia admitted to Khashoggi’s death last Friday but claimed it was the result of a physical altercation gone wrong.

The kingdom has also attempted to distance its leadership — particularly that of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman — from the killing by attributing Khashoggi’s death to a rogue operation about which the crown prince and the country’s intelligence services knew nothing.

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday Saudi authorities staged the “worst cover-up ever”.

“It is a disgrace that reaches all the way to Crown Prince (Mohammed bin) Salman. At least five members of the execution team are (Mohammed bin) Salman’s right hands and are people that wouldn’t act without his knowledge,” Ilnur Cevik, an adviser to President Erdogan, wrote in a column in the Yeni Birlik newspaper.

“Even if US President Trump saves (Mohammed bin) Salman, in the eyes of the world he is a questionable person with Khashoggi’s blood on his hands,” Cevik wrote.

Cevik is one of many Erdogan advisers and not a prominent one.

Trending