Connect with us


Pregnant woman dies after being told of brother’s death



Nigeria News

A pregnant woman has died upon hearing the news of her brother’s death. She also lost her unborn baby in the process.

An inquest heard how mum-of-two Sultana Akter, 39, was 26 weeks pregnant with baby Tayyibah when she heard her brother had suffered a heart attack.

Pregnant woman dies after being told of brother's death lailasnews 3

Tragically, Tayyibah died shortly after being delivered by an emergency Caesarian section.

The inquest at Gloucestershire Coroner’s Court today heard that Sultana, of Goodyere Street, Gloucester, had health problems including Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

On March 19 she was told her brother had died and she started to suffer fainting episodes, the inquest heard.

She later had chest pains and started coughing up frothy phlegm.

Her family called emergency services but when they arrived she was lying on the bed unresponsive.

Despite resuscitation efforts she died of natural causes after being rushed to hospital, the inquest heard.

Doctors delivered Tayyibah by Caesarian section in a bid to save her life but she was she was not expected to live because she was so premature, the inquest was told.

The baby made no respiratory effort at birth but a slow heart beat was detected for a very short period of time when she was just 15 minutes old, the inquest was told.


Adrenalin was given but with no increase in heart rate and no signs of life the baby was certified dead four minutes later.

Senior Coroner Katy Skerrett recorded a conclusion of natural causes on baby Tayyibah saying “This was a tragic event of a sudden maternal death.”

Relatives say Sultana was a caring woman and desperately looking forward to the birth of the baby after six years of trying for a daughter.

Nabil said at the time of the tragedy:

“I love babies and when I used to ask my mother for a baby sister she’d say ‘you have to pray’.

“I prayed every day for a sister and until this happened we thought our prayers had been answered.”

Loved ones say Sultana was over the moon to be having a girl and the family had already chosen the name of Tayyibah and bought a little red velvet dress for her to wear.

But at around 7.40am on the morning of Monday March 19 Sultana received a phone call to say her 34-year-old brother had died in Bangladesh. Sultana, one of seven children, was devastated.

Family, friends and neighbours tried to comfort her but she could not stop crying and as the day went on her condition continued worsen.

“I was at home praying for my mum when it was all happening,” said her eldest son Nahid at the time.

Sultana’s husband was on holiday in Bangladesh at the time of his wife’s death so his brother went to the hospital where medics broke the news that they had been unable to save mum or baby.

“The staff at the hospital were very good,” he said. “They had kept the baby warm and let me hold her for about 45 minutes.

“She was very beautiful.”

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply