Anthony Martial has broken his silence on his absence from Manchester United’s pre-season after Jose Mourinho hit out at the striker.
Martial, has defended his decision to leave their US camp, for the birth of his second child, stating that family comes first.
The 22-year-old left United’s US tour last month for the birth of his second child, and has yet to return to the squad or report to Carrington for training.
United are reportedly ready to fine Martial up to £180,000 for failing to train during his period away from the first-team.
Rumours of a major bust-up with Mourinho refuse to go away and come in the midst of Martial’s efforts to leave the club this summer. Mourinho aimed a thinly veiled swipe at Martial on Wednesday morning, and the forward returned the favour later that day. He said: ‘Thank you all for your posts. My little Swan is fine, for the mom it was harder, but thanks to God she’s better now.
‘Sorry, but my family will always come first, back tomorrow in Manchester.’ Mourinho is believed to be furious with Martial’s lack of commitment and seemed to hit out at the goalscorer as United prepare for the final leg of the pre-season preparations. ‘My players [have been] amazing in their effort but we have more effort in front of us,’ said Mourinho. Manchester United transfer targets 2018 Play Video Loaded: 0% 0:00Progress: 0% PlayMute Current Time 0:00 / Duration Time 2:06 Fullscreen
‘We go to Munich in a few days and we start the Premier League in nine days. These are the players that we have plus Lindelof, that started training two days ago, plus Marcus Rashford, Jones and Lukaku, because they gave to the group and to the team three days of their holidays. ‘So, they’re coming back three days early to try and be available for the team [against Leicester on August 10). ‘And with the fantastic spirit we have, in the majority of the players, I repeat: in the majority of the players, we have a fantastic spirit, we go with everything we have to the Premier League.’