Kofi Annan, the former UN secretary-general who won a Nobel Peace Prize for humanitarian work, has died aged 80, and we have gathered his famous quotes for you.
Kofi Annan’s death is another loss of an icon, advocate and a voice. He was a Ghanian statesman who scaled heights in his lifetime.
In a time when the world and Africa are facing turbulent times and a myriad of problems, one can only hope that these words of wisdom from him will mean something to the living.
According to the foundation named after him, Kofi Annan passed away peacefully on Saturday after a short illness.
Annan was the first black African to take up the role of the world’s top diplomat, serving from 1997 to 2006. He later served as the UN special envoy for Syria, leading efforts to find a peaceful solution to the conflict.
See Kofi Annan’s famous quotes below;
- Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.
- It has been said that arguing against globalization is like arguing against the laws of gravity.
- To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.
- Education is a human right with immense power to transform. On its foundation rest the cornerstones of freedom, democracy and sustainable human development.
- More countries have understood that women’s equality is a prerequisite for development.
- There is no development strategy more beneficial to society as a whole – women and men alike – than the one which involves women as central players.
- Business, labour and civil society organizations have skills and resources that are vital in helping to build a more robust global community.
- The Lord had the wonderful advantage of being able to work alone.
- We need to keep hope alive and strive to do better.
- If information and knowledge are central to democracy, they are conditions for development.
May his soul rest in perfect peace.