An Austrian teen killed in firework mishap on New Year’s Eve, could have purchased the item illegally, police said on Tuesday (Jan 1).
The 17-year-old sustained fatal head injuries while he attempted to light the fuse, which malfunctioned and exploded at a party in Eberschwang, in Upper Austria.
Police said they have launched an investigation to determine the origin of the device, which may not have been obtained legally.
Across Austria, around a dozen people were wounded in firework-related mishaps, according to officials.
Authorities in the Netherlands also said two people died in separate fireworks-related incidents overnight.