A new attack by Boko Haram terrorists in Malari village in Borno state, left at least 19 people dead. The Nigerian army has however been blamed over the fresh attack, as community members accused them of negligence.
One of the residents of the community, Abatcha Umar, whose younger brother was killed in the attack, said he counted 19 bodies including that of his deceased brother. He however stated that community members spotted the sect members three days before the attack around their environment, and alerted army officials stationed in the community.
However he accused the Nigerian soldiers of not acting on the information. An aid worker at a camp for internally displaced persons, IDPs, in Monguno, a town in Borno, said hundreds of survivors from villages in the area have fled to the IDPs camp. The aid worker at a camp who received the survivors and declined to be identified, put the death toll at 63.
We reported over the weekend, that four farmers were killed by Boko Haram jihadists outside a key northeast Nigerian city, a militia leader and survivor told AFP on Saturday. On Friday, around a dozen Boko Haram Islamists riding on motorcycles stormed crop fields near Ali Goshe village, six kilometres (3.7 miles) outside the city of Maiduguri, and slit the throats of four farmers.
The attack on civilians comes as the jihadists are launching a surge of assaults against troops in Nigeria, putting the military on the back foot six months before presidential polls.
“So far we have confirmed the death of four people in the attack which happened around midday,” said Ibrahim Liman, who is part of the militia taskforce fighting Boko Haram in the region.
“When the Boko Haram terrorists came the farmers fled but the gunmen managed to grab four and slaughter them.”
Shuaibu Boka, who was among the farmers who escaped, said the jihadists did not shoot in order to avoid attracting the attention of security forces.